Tuesday, November 20, 2018

The Woodlands Roof Repairs

     I may be the only person on the planet that enjoys a good
challenging roof leak.  I can usually find them, but sometimes it takes a while.  I was in The Woodlands looking for a leak around a skylight.  The client had some good information, that helped me eliminate certain culprits that I would normally look for.  The leak was coming at the top of the chase.  I asked if they were seeing water coming off the frame of the light.  Nope, no water there.  The previous repair guy had charged a rather large fee and didn't fix the issue.  She said they had come back, but it was still leaking.  They blamed the skylight was bad.  My theory was if the light was bad, water wouldn't be coming from the top.  It had to be a flashing issue or something up above.  I was right.
   
     I pulled 3 rows of shingles off, just above the skylight pan.  When I pulled the 3rd row off, there it was.  A nail was installed, too close to the butt joint.  Over the 7yrs since the roof was installed, the nail had rusted out, until it was completely gone.  Water trails are easy to find on the old15 organic felt papers.  This was a simple fix.  It was in the front of the house, so appearance is always a concern.  I tried to save the shingles, but they were glued to each other.  I installed new shingles and when I finished, you would have to really be looking to tell it was repaired.

 This photo to the left was one I looked at off Gosling.  The roofer that came out, didn't care about appearance or anything a professional roofer would have done.  After all this mess, it still leaked.  Now they have a horrible patch job, on a new roof.  The worst part, it wasn't the flashing leaking.  The chimney cap was cracked and in need of some serious help.  Don't let someone do this kind of work on your home.

     I use more synthetic underlayments, instead of the old organic felts.  #15 and #30.  They still make them, but for safety, I like the synthetics, much better.  There is a difference in synthetics.  Some are ASTM /rated 15.  I prefer the ASTM 30.  It doesn't rip when you walk on anything more than a  7/12.
When it comes to leaks, I guess the synthetics may make it a little more difficult to find leaks, since they don't decay like the old felts.   I haven't ran across that issue yet, but I'm sure it's coming.

     If you live in The Woodlands, Conroe, Cleveland, North Houston and need a repair.  Call us.
We are one of the few full service roofing companies, that do repairs.  We will come out and give you a free estimate for repair.  If we have it on our box truck, we'll do it while we are there.  Their is a reason that more people tell me we are the most trusted roofing company in the area.  I plan on keeping it that way.

936.756.9223       Paul
Texas Discount Roofing LLC.      Roof Repairs contact us here.

No comments: